• Giving your grandchildren cash is the simplest way to let them use the money however they please.
• Keep the annual gifting under $16,000 per year. If you gift over $16,000 a year, you will start encountering gift taxes. You and your spouse can each give each grandchild a gift of $16,000 and not have to pay taxes on it.
• If you want to control how and when your monetary gift is used, you might want to consider a trust, custodial account, or 529 plan.
• A 529 plan, or a qualified tuition plan, allows you to save for your grandchildren’s education, making sure the money is used for educational purposes. The money you put into this account would not be taxed.
• With a trust account, you can choose to distribute the funds in installments or when they reach an accomplishment such as a college degree or an income level. A custodial account is similar to a savings account, and its funds can be used for anything.
Don’t help your children or grandchildren so much that you run out of money for yourself. Before you give, make sure to assess your own retirement plans.
Check out our Traditions First Bank Financial Calculator.
Lost or Stolen ATM/Debit Card: 800-500-1044
Telephone Banking: (931) 289-1990
Main Office: (931) 289-5500
Traditions First Bank - Institution NMLS #791806
Download Adobe Reader
Your privacy is very important to us. We would like to advise you that Internet email is not secure. Please do not submit any information that you consider confidential. We recommend you do not include your social security or account number or other specific identifying information.
You are leaving Traditions First Bank's website and linking to a third party site. Please be advised that you will then link to a website hosted by another party, where you will no longer be subject to, or under the protection of, the privacy and security policies of Traditions First Bank. We recommend that you review and evaluate the privacy and security policies of the site that you are entering. Traditions First Bank assumes no liability for the content, information, security, policies or transactions provided by these other sites.